[tn-bird] Birding downtown Nashville & Field Trip to Audubon State Park

  • From: "Deborah Hamilton" <Deborah.Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:36:44 -0500

** Proprietary **

I've been hesitant about reporting that I bird in downtown Nashville.  But with
a 50 hr.+/ week job and commuting from Clarksville, I take what I can get.
Around the state capitol (in huge willow oaks) and within "the slab"
(Bicentennial Mall State Park) there has been a wide variety of warblers and
other birds.  I'm only passing through as I briskly walk to work so I've
probably missed a lot of other species but since April 15 I've heard and or
seen.

Kentucky Warbler
Palm Warblers
Bl. Thrtd Green Warblers
100s of Yellow-rumped Warblers
Ovenbirds
Black and White Warblers
Yellow Warblers
Common Yellowthroat
House Wren
Orchard Oriole
100s of Cedar Waxwings
Lots of White Throated Sparrows
Indigo Buntings

Red tailed Hawk, Am. Kestrel, and just about every other resident bird

The warblers seem to be attracted to the tall hill that holds the state
capitol.   I thought it interesting that even downtown Nashville sees a migrant
population of birds.  And since you are up in the Willow tree canopy with the
birds, you actually get an eye to eye view.

Our Clarksville Audubon Chapter is traveling to John James Audubon State Park
in Hendersonville, Kentucky, tomorrow morning (Saturday) leaving at 7:00 a.m.
from Clarksville.   This is a wonderful park for migrant birds and wildflowers.
 I know this is short notice (just occurred to me to put it on the list), but
if anyone is interested, e-mail me personally and I'll tell you more.

Debbie Hamilton
Montgomery County
Clarksville, Tennessee