[tn-bird] Birding at Rankin

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:41:13 -0400

At the current level of Douglas Lake, most of the shorebirds are a half mile or
more from the viewing area near the tipple.  Some shoreline is obscured by
field contours, shrubs, trees and deadwood.  The pond past the gate on the old
railroad bed is bird-rich, but completely out of sight from the entrance road.
For a thorough survey, you have to explore the habitat from a boat.  With the
exception of ducks and egrets, the birds can be easily approached and observed.
We plan to bring 2 canoes out to Rankin WMA on Saturday, 4/17, and we'll gladly
accompany anyone who'd like a closer look; we've learned a lot from more
experienced birders.  Dean "Eagle Eye" Edwards identified at least a dozen
species that we wouldn't have distinguished last Saturday.
Paddling at Rankin is a very low-risk adventure; mudshoes recommended.

Michael Sylva and Leslie Gibbens
The Rankin Project
Del Rio TN      Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com