[TN-Bird] Birding Today

  • From: BrdMann@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:30:31 EDT

April 26, 2004
Hamilton and Marion County, TN
Judy Newsome, Kevin Calhoon and I birded in two TN counties from 7:30AM -
8:10PM and listed 135 species. We had 27 species of warblers and 12 species of
shorebirds. I will highlight a few of the more noteworthy ones.
Red-throated Loon-1 Shellmound, Nickajack Lake, Marion Co.
American Bittern-1 Standifer Gap Marsh, Hamilton Co.
Least Bittern-1 Standifer Gap Marsh
Virginia Rail-4  Standifer Gap Marsh
Sora-4            Standifer Gap Marsh
Had over 150 shorebirds behind Boyd Buchanan School observed from the
Brainerd Levee; all seen there unless noted specifically.
Semipalmated Plover-2
Killdeer-6, including 3 young
Greater Yellowlegs-3
Lesser Yellowlegs-100+ there and 9 at Standifer Gap Marsh
Solitary Sandpiper-7
Spotted Sandpiper-2
Upland Sandpiper-1seen near Riverport Rd in field between Hamilton Plastics
and Metals USA
Semipalmated Sandpiper-1
Least Sandpiper-15
Baird's Sandpiper-2
Pectoral Sandpiper-4
Wilson's Snipe-40
Forster's Tern-2 Nickajack Dam, Marion Co.
WARBLING VIREO-1, singing along Cash Canyon Road, Hamilton Co.
    Only the second one I have observed in Hamilton Co.
Marsh Wren-3 Standifer Gap Marsh
Veery-2 Cravens House, Hamilton Co.
Swainson's Thrush-2 Cravens House
Magnolia Warbler-1 Kevin Calhoon's house, Hamilton Co.
Black-throated Blue Warbler-1 Kevin Calhoon's house
Bay-breasted Warbler-2 Kevin Calhoon's house
Cerulean Warbler-2 Kevin Calhoon's house
Lincoln's Sparrow-1 Standifer Gap Marsh
Bobolink-2 males Standifer Gap Marsh
Lots of good birds and lots of fun!
Daniel R. Jacobson