[TN-Bird] Birding Saturday, Cane Creek Park, Chickamauga Dam, Standifer Gap Marsh

  • From: Oeserscave@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 22:58:28 EST

Saturday the family headed out from Hendersonville to Hiwassee Refuge for the
crane viewing.  On the way we stopped at Cane Creek Park on the west side of
Cookeville (off I-40 at Willow, north to West Jackson, turn left, then left on
Buffalo Valley, then right on CCCamp Rd, signed).  Here we saw the usual 8 or
so Ruddy Ducks, and something bigger on the other side.  Binoculars indicated
male Canvasback, so I pulled out the telescope and it was a male Canvasback.
A hike halfway around the flooded lake yielded 3 male Hooded Mergansers, 1
female Scaup (seemed to be Greater), 1 male Bufflehead near the first parking
area, and about 12 Redheads.  While on the other side of the lake, a flock of
Canada Geese came sailing by, and I noted a white goose.  Quick binocular work
noted 2 Snow Geese, 1 each of white phase and blue phase.  They didn't land as
I had hoped, only giving a low flyby.
Next was down US111 to Chickamauga Dam in Chattanooga, where we saw (on the
lake side of the dam from near the visitor center) 2 male Common Goldeneyes
about 200-300 feet out, the White-winged Scoter 100-200 feet out, a female
Scaup
(Greater I believe) 100 feet out, a Common Loon 300 feet out, and a female
Red-Breasted Merganser from 250 feet out to 100 feet out before we left.  Oh
yes,
there were plenty of Coots nearby.

Just south of the dam we met David Patterson at Standifer Gap Marsh, where we
saw Redheads, Ring-Necked Ducks, Northern Shovelers, Gadwall, and (after he
generously played his tape a few times) a close-range Virginia Rail under cover
of Cattails.

Next we made it to our destination of Hiwassee Refuge where we saw thousands
of Sandhill Cranes.  Our daughter was even impressed by the numbers and noise
of these birds!
Last, but not least, we went to Dayton City Park and immediately spotted the
female Common Merganser, plus 1 male and 2 female Hooded Merganser.  This
male, unlike those at Cane Creek Park, was in full array, with his crest raised
and black-and-white barring at his chest.

Sunday while caving in Jackson county, TN, we heard Sandhill Cranes 3
separate times, but never saw them to get a direction of flight.  Another
highlight
on Sunday were 2 close-range Bobcats next to a cave, and another probable
Bobcat crossing the highway in another area of Jackson county.

Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN