[TN-Bird] Re: Birding Irresponsibility

  • From: chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 23:03:58 +0000

Mike-
Trust me when I tell you that Michael Bierly knows those gentlemen very well,
and vice versa.  Michael wrote the Bird Finding Guide to Tennessee and has been
one of the pre-eminent birders in this region for 40+ years.  All of those guys
know each other very well.
I generally agree with Michael on this one.  I have nothing but the utmost
respect for Wallace, Rick, et al, and have known them for quite a while, but I
was pretty stunned by the taping.  I can see no scientific benefit whatsoever
to trying to tape out a bird that (a) everyone there there has already seen (as
a species) dozens of times, and (b) has already been confirmed as to
identification and presence.  Certainly, taping isn't going to lead to
discovery of a nest in those circumstances, or at least I think it would be
highly unlikely.  So, in my mind, that was irresponsible.  You can make an
argument about the need to document possible breeding, so I won't offer an
opinion as to the other actions described, but the taping IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE
(note that I offer no opinion here as to the merits of taping generally) was
way out of line in my opinion.

regards,

--
Chris Sloan