[TN-Bird] Re: Bird poems

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: raincrow@xxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:10:05 EST

In a message dated 12/16/2005 7:54:42 A.M. Central Standard Time,
raincrow@xxxxxxx writes:
Birders,

Okay, so Dixon Merritt wrote the famous pelican  limerick, or so it's
said. But whether he wrote it or not, Ogden Nash is  often given credit
for it. Old Og is no longer around to set the record  straight on this,
but he does live on in other poems whose authorship is  not in question

Leslie Koller of Missouri clears that up with the following;

* Wrote  Dixon Lanire Merrith in his poem "The Pelican"(1910): A
wonderful bird is  the pelican His bill will hold more that his belican. He
can take in his  beak Food enough for a week, But I'm danmed if i can see how
the  helican

Source: QBP Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins,
By Robert Hendrickson,  or
* "A wonderful bird is a Pelican, Whose beak can hold more
than his belly  can. Be it crabs, clams, or fish, It will hold all you wish.
But damned if I  see how the hell he  can!"

--Arbogast of Diedenhofen,  or
* A wonderful bird is the  pelican,
His mouth can hold more than his belly  can,
He  can hold in his  beak,
Enough food for a  week!
I'm  damned if I know how the hell he  can!
Dixon Lanier Merritt, a Southern newspaper editor and
President of the  American Press  Humorists            Association, penned
this
famous limerick in  1910.

Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA