[tn-bird] Re: Bird out of nest

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:34:16 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/02 11:08:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time, EGLEAVES@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Having watched birds all my life, I should know what to do in this
> situation,
> but in this case I am not sure.
>
> A young phoebe has fallen out of the nest on my covered back porch.  He's
> probably a week a way from flying and cannot make it on his own.  The
> parents
> seem to ignore him while they feed the three other siblings still in the
> nest.
>
> The question: Should I restore him to the nest or leave him for nature to
> take its course?
>
> Ed Gleaves

Ed
I suggest that you insert the baby back into the nest if it is not being fed.
 I don't think that this a genetic failure on the part of the nestling or
that it is likely to pass on a bad "falling out of the nest" gene.

By the way, Eastern Phoebes can sometimes be notorously bad parents.  They
often build several nests and sometimes forget whole clutches of eggs.  Who
knows why, but then they seem to get the job done.

After handling the chick, wash your hands and arms good, this species often
has lots of parasites on them and in their nests.  I don't know the name of
these tiny mites.

The Maker of Birds notices those that tends to his helpless creatures.  I
predict a Gold Star will be placed along side your name in the Great Book of
Deeds.  I enjoy believing such things occur.

Good luck.
Bob Sargent