[TN-Bird] Bird Id Help Needed/ Raptor Rescue.

  • From: John Lamb <jwilliamlamb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 14:54:57 -0500

Spent some time yesterday at the Chickamauga Dam checking out waterfowl.
Lots of Redheads, Canvasbacks and coots about.

But in the middle of the above, there were a couple that I'm not
experienced enough to sort out. Am not sure if these are immature Redheads
or Canvasbacks.  While both birds look similar, the white patterns on their
foreheads are different.

Are these Scaup or???   - A photo is attached - any ID help is appreciated.

As we were leaving the area and turning left on Amnicola Hyw, we saw what
looked like trash flapping in the road - it was actually a hawk that had
been clipped by a car while feeding in the middle of the road.  A trucker
saw the same thing that we did, and got the bird out of traffic.  We made
some calls and found out that the Chattanooga Zoo helps out with wildlife,
so we (very carefully) got a hold of hawk, rolled it up in a blanket like a
baby, then wrapped a sun shade around it.  Have to say it was nerve racking
sitting with a large raptor in my lap, but we made it to the zoo with no
incident.

I did not know that the zoo helped with this sort of thing, but figure that
that is good info in case any of you run across a similar situation.

A photo is attached - hopefully this majestic bird will get a 2nd shot at
life in the wild ...

--
*John W. Lamb*
Author, Historian, and Development Professional

<http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Engine-War-Winans-Maryland/dp/0982304927/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334273606&sr=8-1>