[TN-Bird] Bird Flu

  • From: "BirdsandTrails" <BirdsandTrails@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:43:24 -0500

Thought TN-birders would enjoy reading this article by Scott Weidensaul - who
was the featured speaker at the TOS Spring meeting held in Chattanooga in 2004.

Hopefully this bird flu will not affect TN birds/birding/birders.

Carol Fegarido
Chattanooga
Hamilton county

By SCOTT WEIDENSAUL
Published: November 30, 2005
Schuylkill Haven, Pa.

 WITH a wary eye on the clouds, I hurried through a few last outdoor chores at
my old farmhouse before the rain and snow arrived. But even in my haste, one
faint sound stopped me - braying whoops high overhead, the telltale knell of
autumn's final retreat. All but hidden in the clouds, a flock of tundra swans
was riding the storm front, aiming for the sheltered coves of the Chesapeake
more than 100 miles to the south.

Here in eastern Pennsylvania, the migratory web binds up threads that
originate far beyond these gentle hills. Peregrine falcons born in Greenland
chase ducks that hatched in Manitoba. Long-billed dowitchers from the Northwest
Territories leapfrog to the mid-Atlantic states, while blackpoll warblers from
across Canada funnel through on their way to Amazonia.

But that hemispheric dance, that most compelling of all natural phenomena, now
carries darker undertones. As the deadly H5N1 strain of avian flu marches
across the Old World, those of us who marvel at migratory birds wonder whether
- or perhaps simply when - one of them will carry the disease to this
hemisphere.

The virulent form of the flu has not yet been found in the Western Hemisphere,
but some Americans are still panicking. Birders on the Internet trade anecdotes
of people refusing to hang their sunflower-seed feeders, and the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology had to issue a press release saying, in effect, it's still safe to
go bird-watching. When a domestic duck in British Columbia was found last week
to be infected with a mild and widespread form of bird flu, the United States
responded by imposing an interim ban on all poultry imports from that province.

Overreaction? Of course. But as I cock an ear to the swans, I feel some unease
mixed with my awe. These swans have come so very far, some perhaps flying from
Alaska or even Siberia. And Alaska is H5N1's logical entry point into the
Western Hemisphere. While we have understandably focused on the danger to
humans, the flu's impact on North American birds could be disastrous.

Last summer, I spent a week on the flat, waterlogged tundra at Old Chevak, an
abandoned Cup'ik Eskimo village in Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge, not
far from the Bering Sea. The birdlife was astonishing in both its diversity and
abundance; hiking across the spongy landscape in hip boots, I rarely walked
more than a few yards without flushing a nesting duck, loon, swan, shorebird,
sparrow or tern. They come here from regions as far-flung as the Philippines,
Amazonia, New Zealand, tropical Africa and Tierra del Fuego. That includes
places where the deadly flu has already been found - like Java, where the
slender songbird known as the yellow wagtail winters, or Vietnam and China,
whose coastlines are important staging grounds for migrant shorebirds.

 If and when the virulent flu enters Alaska in the bodies of Asian migratory
birds and spreads among the breeding population, it will then be carried heaven
knows where. While the large-scale risk to humans is still theoretical, H5N1
has already proven deadly to many species of wild birds. In May, a single
outbreak in China killed up to a tenth of the world's bar-headed geese, and
last month a United Nations task force identified three dozen species of rare
Eurasian birds at particular risk from the flu. Here in North America, where
emerging diseases like West Nile virus are already exacting a heavy toll on
some birds, the damage from this new pathogen could be even greater.

 The task force also correctly noted that we shouldn't scapegoat migratory
birds for a problem of our own making. H5N1 is a product of intensive poultry
production, especially in regions like Southeast Asia with scanty farm hygiene
and large live-bird markets, which create a hothouse environment for influenza
viruses and a transmission route to people. The biggest risk to this country
comes not from a bird crossing the Bering Strait, but from an infected human
boarding a jet.

Will that realization stop officials and the public here from eventually
making the kind of counterproductive demands we've already heard in Asia, for
the mass culling of migratory birds or the destruction of wetlands and other
habitats? Or will it draw attention to measures that cut to the root cause of
this problem, like better monitoring and oversight of global poultry
production, and curbing the worldwide (and often illegal) trade in wild birds,
a step the European Union has already taken?

As the sound of the swans faded, I could only hope - for the sake of the
birds, and ourselves - that we choose the latter course.

Scott Weidensaul is the author, most recently, of "Return to  Wild America."