[TN-Bird] Big Sandy flats area (Henry Co); 8/30/07

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:37:10 -0500

8/30/07
Big Sandy
Henry Co

After seeing Hap Chambers posts of late regarding great shorebirding at
Blood River in KY, I made my 1st trip of the season to KY Lake. Normally the
mouth of the Big Sandy River has the most extensive flats in this area, but
as of yet there was only a sliver of a narrow grassy spit exposed. There
were several Lesser Yellowlegs, Least, Semi and Solitary Sandpipers, among
the Killdeer here. The drawdown should immediately, so the habitat will be
here soon.

Though shorebirding was slow, passerines were numerous, even at mid-day.
There were at least a dozen each of Prothonotary and Yellow Warblers along
the dike I was on, with Pewee's especially numerous as well. The highlight
was a spiffy young Least Flycatcher, my FOS.

Now, hopefully they will refind that Jabiru in MS!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxx