[tn-bird] Big Sandy (Pace Point area) 9/25/02

  • From: "Todd, Michael C." <michael.c.todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 03:46:47 -0400

Haven't had much time to bird lately so I thought I'd spent a few hours
around Big Sandy, and birded from 10:00 to 3:00. I spent a couple of hours
earlier that morning in the woods behind my parents house where I got most
of my "life" warblers as a kid quite a few years ago. Overall there seemed
to be a good passerine movement going on. On the day I had 19 species of
warblers with AMERICAN REDSTART, MAGNOLIA, TENNESSEE, PARULA, and
BAY-BREASTED all represented by 10 or more birds seen over the day.
Multiples of BLACK-AND-WHITE, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, BLACK-THROATED GREEN,
CHESTNUT-SIDED, PINE, and YELLOW-THROATED were joined by singles of
BLUE-WINGED, GOLDEN-WINGED, ORANGE-CROWNED (1st of the fall), YELLOW, PALM,
PRAIRIE, and a couple of surprises. I got great looks at my second
lemon-breasted, yellow-soled  BLACKPOLL WARBLER of the fall, at Pace Point.
And my first YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER of the season was seen to briefly, but
had no supercilium that I could see and was very plain-faced with uniform
drab underparts. I didn't get enough of a look, but it looked good for an
"AUDUBON's" YELLOW-RUMPED. Vireos were represented by multiples of RED-EYED,
YELLOW-THROATED, and the ever-present WHITE-EYED.  I saw more GRAY CATBIRDS
and HOUSE WRENS than I remember seeing in a single day in a while, with at
least 8 HOUSE WRENS seen. The only woodland thrush I could manage was
SWAINSON'S.

On a different note, I had a large movement of BLUE JAYS. During an hour of
so of watching migrants close-up on a long point extending out into the TN
River (Danville, a great place Jeff Wilson told me about), I had over 300
BLUE JAYS fly over. They were coming in high then just dropping down into
the trees on the point. One continuous group had 130 birds in it, and there
were constantly 3 or 4 in sight overhead.

I only had two shorebird species on the day, even though Pace Point looked
pretty good (KILLDEER everywhere, and a couple of overhead STILT
SANDPIPERS). There were over 500 RING-BILLED GULLS on Pace Point, along with
28 CASPIAN TERNS, and the only "goodie" being a young FRANKLIN'S GULL.

Good Birding!!!!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.