[tn-bird] Re: Big City Life

  • From: Robert <rwf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 21:48:11 -0500

OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx wrote:
 > After that I watched a Buffalo give birth to a calf
 > while in the foreground a Killdeer stood her ground
 > protecting her nest with 4 eggs from curious onlookers.
 > She had built her nest right next to the busy road and
 > someone had placed a concrete block so no one could
 > roll over it.

The killdeer is still there, hunkered down dangerously close
to the road in gravel. The Buffalo calf you saw was laying
next to the fence. A friend and I walked around Patriot Lake
and here is what we saw.

Canada Geese - about 50 of them in all, with lots of babies
two American Coots
several Mallard ducks
a handsome Loggerhead Shrike, perched on a fence
Barn Swallows, skimming close to the surface of the water
an Eastern Kingbird, looking for insects
a Red Tailed Hawk, being pestered defensively by two small birds
lots of Red Wing Blackbirds
an orangish brown Wood Thrush
a Little Blue Heron with a purple feathered boa ( first one
I'd ever seen ) near the boat dock

As we were leaving, there was some guy poking at the Buffalo
calf thru the fence. The mother Buffalo did a halting charge
at him to protect her baby. The clown reached thru the fence
again. I could not believe what I was watching. We left
without seeing who finally won this Buffalo tug-of-war.

Robert Fowler
Memphis TN