[TN-Bird] Bewick's Wren (finally) Wilson County

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 02:07:10 +0000 (UTC)

After looking all spring, I finally found what I assume to be a singing male on
territory.He (?) was acting like he was guarding a nest, and I would expect the
bird to be relocatable for the next month or so.  Unfortunately, it is on
private property, and close approach is not legally possible.  However, the
bird can easily be heard from the road, these birds tend to sing from exposed
perches, and with a scope, a reasonable view should be expected.
The east end of Alsup Mill Road ends in a tee junction with Cedar Forest and St
John Roads.  At the corner, there is a barnyard with 4 or 5 barns, all is
fenced off with no trespassing signs.  There was a farmhouse in the middle, but
this burned 4 or 5 years ago.   I suspect the wrens are nesting in one of the
barns; the bird was singing today from the top of one the nearby cedars.  If
the bird is singing, playing tape will accomplish little.  If all is quiet,
judicious use of audio might start him singing, but as the territory is well
off the road, the bird will not likely leave his area.  Nobody is more hopeful
for nesting success than I, hope everyone who is interested is on their best
behavior!
(no idea who owns the property or who to ask for permission to enter)
Cheers
Terry WittMurfreesboro Tn