[TN-Bird] Best Guess As To What Broke Up A Carolina Wren Nest With Nestlings

  • From: "David " <rockyturf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 21:38:51 -0400

Two days ago my wife noticed that a Carolina Wren had a nest with babies.
It was in a flower box on top of a 4 ft. tall railing of our back patio. I
looked at them and estimated the nestlings were 2 days old. There were 4
nestlings and 2 un-hatched eggs. Yesterday she saw the mother feeding them
regularly. The nest was not very well protected (the flowers were winter
annuals and on their last leg) but it did survive the rain yesterday with no
problem.

Today when I got home, Stacy said after not seeing any activity she checked
the flower box. She said she thought the nest had been torn up and asked me to
check it out. I found all 4 of the babies were out of the nest and dead but
still in the flower box. The nest had been partially torn up. We do not know if
it happened last night or earlier today.

So what would scatter the nestlings? Our dog stayed outside in the yard all
last night so I think that makes it unlikely to have been a Raccoon (and they
would have eaten them unless the dog chased them off in the middle of the
crime). A snake would have swallowed them. Though possible, neither of us has
seen a cat in the yard in years. I never see House Sparrows or Startling near
the house. I would think a Blue Jay or Crow would have also taken them off to
feed their nestlings or eaten them there on the spot.

A few years ago we stopped putting out sunflower seed because it attracted
rats. We did continue to keep a thistle feeder filled. After removing the
sunflower see, we initially only saw House Finches and Goldfinches. Over the
year several birds have developed a taste for the thistle. They include:
Cardinals, Doves, Eastern Towhee, Chickadees and Titmice (but not often). We
see these birds daily at the feeder. The feeder is about 25 feet from the
flower box. Also daily in the yard we see Bluebirds (nesting in a house about
50 yards away), Brown Thrashers, Mockingbirds and Robbins. I have been hearing
House Wrens perhaps 50 yards away. I know they puncture eggs but it we be hard
to believe they would be able to scatter the nestlings like what I found. This
time of year we also see Brown-headed Cowbirds. If a bird did this, I am
thinking they are the most likely ones. We would like opinions if someone feels
like they know the most likely culprit.

Thanks,

David Stone
The Honors Course