[TN-Bird] Best Ever Warbler Week in Our Yard

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 13:44:11 -0500

We've owned our house for 10 years and beginning last Sunday morning before
church and continuing all week we've had the greatest number of warblers
ever.  Sunday morning we had 12 species: Blue-winged, Pine, Tennessee,
Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Parula, Golden-winged,
Magnolia, Worm-eating, American Redstart, and Blackburnian.  We had at least
7 species each day for the rest of the week, with multiples of some species,
particularly North Parula, American Redstart, and Chestnut-sided.  Probably
the most exciting was having two Golden-winged, one mature and one immature,
and a Blue-winged in the same area of the yard at the same time.  With one
Prairie and one Kentucky, a couple of Yellow-throated, and a couple of Black
and White Warblers the species total for the week was 16.  A couple of
Swainson's Thrushes, Yellow-billed Cuckoo,  a stunningly beautiful male
Baltimore Oriole, White-eyed, Blue-headed, and Red-eyed Vireos, a Redheaded
Woodpecker, a female and an immature Blue Grosbeak, Cedar Waxwings, Pileated
Woodpecker, Great Blue Heron and Summer and Scarlet Tanagers added to our
enjoyment of the week.  Our resident Eastern Wood Peewee chased as many of
them as he had energy and opportunity.

Tommy and Virginia Curtis

Smithville, TN

DeKalb County