[TN-Bird] Benwood Late Monday

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:09:49 -0500 (EST)

Nov. 7, 2011
Benwood Lake
Crittenden Co, AR

I unexpectedly had to go over to the AR job late Monday -  PLEASE don't
throw me in the brier patch. What's left of the lake still attracts  migrating
birds, although there was a dramatic decrease in the numbers of  shorebirds
overnight but in November what do you expect.

Thirty sweepers still standout in the crowd, most species  still present
but in markedly lower numbers, except for Golden-Plovers, the 8  that had been
around over the weekend plus a group of 6 that dropped in and  later left
calling and flying south. Fourteen American Golden-Plovers are just  not
expected this time of the year. Just at dusk, the group of 8 plovers left
heading to roost to the north so they may be around again Tuesday. The Western
Sandpiper was much easier to find and with fewer Wind Birds an odd ball
should  stand out.

The geese started out to feed about 4 and by 4:30 none were  left. A few
Lesser Scaup had added their numbers to the waterfowl list.  I spent most of
the rest of the time scanning the sparrows but  nada.........

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.