[TN-Bird] Bellevue, Common Goldeneyes!

  • From: "fekel" <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 07:43:53 -0600

Resending of post that apparently did not go through on Sunday

Harpeth River Greenway/Morton Mill Road Lake
Bellevue, Davidson Co., TN
2014 Jan. 12
7-7:30am

Apparently the LONG-TAILED DUCK found on the Nashville
CBC here in Bellevue started a diving duck fad on
the small ponds and lakes in Bellevue. I took a brief walk
this Sunday morning to see if there was anything
interesting on the tiny man-made lake next to the Harpeth
River off Old Harding Road in Bellevue. It was very foggy as
I walked past the lake going down river. To my pleasant
surprise, as I looked at the work of a beaver, I found 4
otters diving in the lake, but they soon noted my presence
and took to the far bank, presumably going over it to the
Harpeth River. A few minutes later as I doubled back toward
the parking area, I was amazed to see coming out of the
lifting fog 6 COMMON GOLDENEYEs, 2 males and 4 females. It
was great to get close up looks at the birds. They dove and
brought up small silver fish which they consumed for
breakfast.

Frank Fekel
Bellevue, TN

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC

                      MAP RESOURCES