[TN-Bird] Belated report, Shelby Co birding 4/28/12

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:10:12 -0700 (PDT)

I posted this, or so my computer said, Sunday but it never showed up. Here goes
again.

4/28/12
Shelby Co (President's Island, Mud Island, Ensley, Meeman-Shelby, Eagle Lake

Finally got a day to bird this spring, so went down and joined Jeff  for a very
enjoyable, if not especially birdy, day around Shelby Co. We  had a decent 115
species, more than I had expected. The very brisk,  20-30 mph winds all day
didn't help our cause any. Today would have been  the day to go down,
in hindsite probably..

We started at Mud Island, hoping for some swallows, but practically  none and
nothing else of note. A trip around President's Island,  yielded very few
doves,
and no Western Kingbirds or Scissor-tails.  Once again though, the high wind
didn't help here. A roosting Common  Nighthawk we saw on the way out was a nice
surprise.

Shorebirds at the pits were WAY down compared to Jeff's last visit,  and we had
to work very hard to find 10 species, including a few Stilt  Sandpipers,
Long-billed Dowitchers and Semi Sands. Birds were very wary  and constantly
looking up, which put us on one high-flying Peregrine. No  Black-bellied
Whistling Ducks for us today. A trip to the Painted  Bunting area resulted with
a talk to one of the TVA security guys,  saying that you must stay in your car
at that site.....We did have two  singing Painted Buntings in the area.

We decided to head north to Eagle Lake. Of course, the gate at the  top of the
bluff was locked.......But, we did have a nice Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher on
the
wires along the entrance as we were leaving. We then  birded some in
Meeman-Shelby, finding small pockets of birds several  places, finishing with
16
warblers on the day including a couple of  Golden-wings, a singing
Canada, Nashville, Black-throated Green and  great looks at a Swainson's. A
fruiting Mulberry tree near Chucalissa  was a treat for a little while as
we watched both Tanagers, Swainoson's  Thrushes and other birds come in to
feast
on the fruit.

A few new images are in a new gallery: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/spring_2012

For the few airshow/aviation enthusiasts out there, I also have  some images
from Aviation Nation in Las Vegas back in November posted to  my airshows
gallery: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/airshows

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN