[TN-Bird] Belated Shorebird Report, Rankin Bottoms, 8 Sept 2011

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:07:57 -0500

Pardon the really late report, but I wanted to post my shorebird list from
Rankin Bottoms and Dutch Bottoms from 8 Sept 2011. I also include a small
gallery of sub-par images of the Hudsonian Godwit, Marbled Godwit, Red Knot
with a Wilson's Phalarope, among a few others.  I went from Rankin to Whigg
Meadow, where I was offline until this evening.

If interested, first image starts here:
http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/image/138053156

I had 24 species of shorebird at Rankin, plus 10 Sanderlings at Dutch Bottoms
(see second list below), for 25 species of shorebird in about 4 hours in east
Tennessee!  I think all species were posted previously, however I think my
numbers differ for a few, for what that is worth.  Quite a nice compilation of
species!  The number of white-rumped sandpipers was excellent, of course the
godwits were pretty sweet too!  Another incredible day of shorebirding in east
Tennessee!

Black-bellied Plover  4
Semipalmated Plover  40
Killdeer  4
American Avocet  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  2
Willet  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  48
Hudsonian Godwit  1
Marbled Godwit  1
Ruddy Turnstone  2
Red Knot  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  70
Western Sandpiper  3
Least Sandpiper  20
White-rumped Sandpiper  14
Baird's Sandpiper  1
Pectoral Sandpiper  145
Stilt Sandpiper  13
Short-billed Dowitcher  4 (photos)
Long-billed Dowitcher  2 (heard and seen)
Wilson's Phalarope  1
Red-necked Phalarope  2
Black Tern  1

Dutch Bottoms from the 25E bridge to Rankin Hill Rd:
Sanderling  10
Least Sandpiper  4
Laughing Gull  1
Ring-billed Gull  95