[TN-Bird] Beaman Park Wed. PM

  • From: "Cyndi Routledge" <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:52:55 -0500

Thursday May 20
Beaman Park
North Davidson Co.
After spending a relaxing and enjoyable morning with the NTOS Wednesday morning
crew out at Radnor Lake, we spent an hour or so out at Beaman Park while
waiting to pick up some family members at the airport. First, we were greeted
with the song of a Yellow-throated warbler in the trees surrounding the lower
parking lot.  As we headed toward the trailhead along the creek, we got some
pretty good looks at a Gray-cheeked thrush near the early part of the trail
where the gravel ends and the trailhead begins. Between the little bridge that
crosses the feeder creek and the bigger bridge that crosses (Henry?) Creek  we
saw or heard at least 2 pairs of Acadian Flycatchers, a Yellow-throated Vireo,
a Summer Tanager or two, a Northern Parula,  and also heard a Worm-eating
warbler far up on the hillside to the right.

Along the creek to the left we saw a pair of Louisisna waterthrushes, both
carrying nesting material,  and saw or heard several waterthrush "chips" along
the way. A gentleman patiently doing a little wildlife photography felt as
though there were probably at least 4 pairs nesting in the area. Another
pleasant, though not totally unexpected surprise, was the persistent call of an
Ovenbird. A few of the other "regulars" we saw or heard included Mourning
Doves,  CarolinaWrens, Tufted Titmice, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers,  a Gray Catbird,
a Downy Woodpecker and some Northern Cardinals.

Always a lot of fun!

Cyndi and Steve Routledge

Unless someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not.
                         -The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES