[TN-Bird] Beaman Park Nashville

  • From: <ethden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:35:57 -0500

Beaman Park
Northwest Nashville-Davidson County
Open since March, this has become one of my favorite places to bird in the
Nashville area. You have to be up for some walking (complete route is over 6
miles), but the trails aren't that tough. If you regularly bird Nashville, but
are tired of the usual places, visit Beaman Park.

What amazes me is the large numbers of certain species that one continues to
hear and see(!) over and over. The most numerous today:

Worm eating warblers - 7 including a chick tended by two adults
Kentucky warblers- 5
yellow billed cuckoos- 4
scarlet tanagers- 8 incl great looks at a female
wood thrush- 4
summer tanager- 5

Sibley describes the Worm eating warbler as "uncommon". He has not been to
Beaman! This warbler is present in numbers that astound me. The habitat is
perfect for them-- steep forested banks leading down to the stream. Today I got
good looks at a recently-fledged chick. No visible tail, and huge head and bill
out of proportion to the rest of the body pursued by doting parents.

For over ten minutes I watched yellow-billed cuckoo behavior I was unaware of.
Continuously calling, the bird cocked its tail up like a mockingbird, spread
it's wings showing off its rufous flight feathers as it flitted from branch to
branch.

All the other late spring usuals are there as well, and you are never without
the song of a scarlet tanager for more than a few minutes as you walk the
trails.

Kevin Bowden
Nashville, TN