[TN-Bird] Be careful what you wish for--Brown-headed Cowbird

  • From: "fekel" <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:12:47 -0600

River Plantation Section
Bellevue, Davidson Co., TN
2015 Feb. 15-16
icy conditions

With the extensive ice covering everything here in southwest Davidson
Co., there has been plenty of action at my feeders, and work at TSU
has been cancelled both Monday and today, so I've been checking the
birds much more frequently than usual. Yesterday I saw a single
male BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD below my feeder. I'd not found a cowbird
since the beginning of the year for my 2015 list, and so finally added
that species to the list . However, upon seeing it, I commented that
one was necessary but certainly sufficient. Apparently hearing
my castigation of its species, today it brought back its friends. Under
my feeder was a flock 80+ cowbirds, nearly all of them males! Much
more than sufficient.

Also unusual at my feeders today, Tuesday, were a single FOX SPARROW,
my first since at least 2009, and an EASTERN PHOEBE.

Frank Fekel
Bellevue, TN
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

                       Clemson, SC