[TN-Bird] Banded Shorebird / Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:54:24 EDT

Aug. 16, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
People dropped in all day at the pits, 3 states were represented among the 28
birders that Mark, Mike and I counted along with the 13 species of shorebirds
present. Possibly the most interesting being a Least Sandpiper sporting a
Green Flag that means it was banded in the US. In my haste to get everyone on
the
visitor I said it was banded in Canada. How I made that jump I don't know as
I was just watching a bunch of birds in S. Dakota that were banded in a study
going on up there a week ago. Green Flagged birds are from US and White
Flagged birds are from Canada which is where I get most of my flagged birds.
Try as
I might I could not see any other bands on the bird. I was hoping that it
might be one of my S. Dakota friends I view while up there. It just might have
been one of theirs;o)

The word here is to be aware of banded shorebirds, noting the location (which
leg, upper or lower part of leg, right or left) and color of any flags
(plastic bands that have an extension that sticks out rather than just a band)
and
color of other bands. They usually sport a USFW metal band on one or the other
upper legs to boot. This was my 28th banded shorebird recorded at Ensley over
the years with representatives from the US, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, and
Guyana.

More on the weekend birds later...............

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.