[TN-Bird] Banded Saw-whet Owl

  • From: woodthrush <woodthrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 03:25:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks
Last night ,November 8, 2012, at my home in Seymour, Sevier County I had my
nets
set up trying to catch Saw-whet Owls to band them.  For the first time I caught
a previously banded Owl.  It was banded on July 21, 2012 at Whitefish Point
Bird
Observatory, Chippewa Co., Michigan as a HY-U bird (meaning it hatched in 2012,
unknown sex).  I haven't heard back from the bander yet so I don't know any
other circumstances of the banding.  I also aged it as an HY and sexed it as
female from the length of the wing and the weight (females are reliably larger
and heavier than males).  This banded bird was the only one I caught last night
and unfortunately it was a work night and I had to quit at 9:30.

It is a banner year for other Saw-whet banders, large numbers are being caught
and banded north of us.  Bob Sargent in Birmingham, AL is also catching birds.
Mark Armstrong
Seymour, Sevier Co., TN