[TN-Bird] Baltimore Oriole, recent yard birds

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 10:04:19 -0400 (EDT)

I've been swamped at work lately which has limited my morning yard
birding and pretty much done away with my lunch and evening birding.
Still, I have managed to sneak a few in here and there.

This morning (Friday, 2 May 2003) the highlight was a gorgeous male
BALTIMORE ORIOLE sitting in the sunlight in the top of a dead tree.
Second-ever sighting for the yard.  Also had a BLACK-THROATED GREEN
WARBLER who must have been learning to sing as he was putting out
every conceivable combination of chitty-chitty-bang-bang and
zoo-zeee zoo-zoo-zee like chitty-chitty-zoo-zoo-zee and
zoo-zee chitty-chitty-chitty zoo-zee.

Yesterday, I had my first ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, only the third time
for the yard.

SCARLET TANAGERs have been seen and heard daily for over a week.
WOOD THRUSHes and ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKs made good showings this
weekend and stayed around for a few days, didn't hear the thrushes
this morning.  My first INDIGO BUNTING showed up earlier this week
and the first GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER and EASTERN KINGBIRD were
here last Saturday.

Warblers have been a bit disappointing so far.  I did finally get
my first NORTHERN PARULA yesterday.  Black-throated Green, HOODED,
PALM WARBLERs and OVENBIRD have been seen/heard fairly regularly
and of course YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS are everywhere but not much
else to report.

Haven't had a hummer since last week.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN