[TN-Bird] Bald Eagle nest in upper Holston River

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:06:08 -0400

We have a report that the upper Holston River area has its first BALD EAGLE
nest  underway at Kingsport, TN.   It contains two young and is located on Clay
Island just over in Hawkins County, TN
The nest is in a highly-secured area of what has been known as the Holston Army
Ammunition Plant.   There is no access and it cannot be seen from a public
road.

Many Bristol Bird Club members will recall a field trip we arranged with the
government one year to take ammunition plant vans down to Clay Island where we
observed the region's first know Great Blue Herony nesting colony with many
Double-crested Cormorants.

Let's go birding......

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN