[TN-Bird] Baird's Sandpiper Ensley Bottoms

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:02:25 EST

March 30, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Baird's Sandpipers are sparse spring migrants over here in west TN (more
numerous the farther west you get) and many probably sneak through
undetected. I have over 200 entries in my data base for them and many more
that were not entered because they were seen on consecutive days. I do note
length of stay for most species. Only about 17% of these sightings are in the
spring.

This species comes through in two different spurts. One very early, in fact
as early as any Pectoral Sandpipers and long before you would expect
Semipalmated or Western Sandpipers. I have one record in February on the
27th, 8 sightings in March and a few in early April. The next and larger
grouping comes through in late April and extends through May. I believe a lot
of the very early birds are overlooked among the early Pectorals and many
others are not seen because there are few out looking for shorebirds at that
time.

I noticed a bird in the middle of one of the large pits at Ensley today, it
just did not have the right coloration and the scope proved my suspicions
correct as a Baird's Sandpiper was picking along in its normal level back
attitude. I took some distant photographs and scanned through the rest of the
Pectoral, Least, Solitary Sandpipers looking for anything else that was new
for the season. The numbers were higher than on Saturday but the Black-necked
Stilt numbers remained at a dozen birds.

Just a heads up reminder to look closely at the Pectoral Sandpipers in late
winter and early spring. ;o)

The Surf Scoter still slept among the scaup today (Sunday).

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.