[TN-Bird] Backyard babies

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 11:19:23 -0400

After a weekend of intensive birding and socializing at the wonderful joint
meeting of TOS and VSO in northeast Tennessee, I was quite content to spend
some time relaxing in my shaded back yard in west Knox County this morning, and
the birds kept me well entertained.
It was gratifying to see two juvenile bluebirds hanging out with their parents
at and near the nest box where the adults are starting their second brood.
Though the young bluebirds were foraging on their own at one point the adult
male took time out from chasing squirrels that got too near the nest box to
feed a large squirmy white slug? to one of the youngsters.  It was great to
have confirmation that at least two of the five that fledged nearly a month ago
have survived.
One fledgling had me stumped for a while.  I first saw it near a brush pile,
poking around on the ground.  It was brown and very drab looking, a bit larger
than the young bluebirds, didn't quite look right for a starling.  Eventually a
Song Sparrow identified it for me by flying in and feeding it.  It was quite
comical to watch the young Cowbird begging and hopping after its much smaller
adoptive parent.
Finally, I confirmed that there are House Wrens nesting in the decorative
ceramic beehive birdhouse given to me by a well-meaning friend.  When I hung
the hive I thought that no bird could ever nest in it as the entrance hole is
almost flush with the bottom of the thing.  That was three years ago.  A male
House Wren filled it with sticks but I didn't think much of it as he was also
putting sticks in the bluebird box.  That fall I removed all the sticks; it
took me quite a while to do that, so last year I just left the sticks in it
over the winter.  I am pretty sure House Wrens nested in it last season as I
was surprised to see them fly into it a few times near the end of the summer.
I hadn't thought they could possibly fit in there as the sticks block the
entrance hole; they must have left a tunnel.  It is a very safe location for
them as surely no predator can get into it. Today I watched the female fly into
it numerous times; I couldn't tell if she had anything in her bill as it all
happened so fast.  You might wonder how I know she was a female.  That's
because the male was in the trees singing the whole time.  Giving her
encouragement?  Cheering her on?  Hoping to attract a new girlfriend?  Based on
her behavior it seems there are young in the nest and she is feeding them.
Amazing.
Carole Gobert, Knoxville, TN