[TN-Bird] BLACK-THROATED SPARROW-Upadate

  • From: tnbarredowl@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:43:37 -0500

My dad and I met Morris Williams in Elora (Lincoln County, TN) about 2:00
yesterday afternoon.  We went to the site, and within 30 minutes had an adult
BLACK-THROATED SPARROW in view!  It is in association will a variety of
sparrows, including Song, White-throated, Savannah, and Field.  The habitat is
brush associated with a timber harvest (tree tops, etc.) along the edge of a
forested area and cotton fields/nursery.  I had to get to Knoxville for
meetings today, so dad and I left around 4:00.  Mike Todd arrived as we were
leaving, but I have not heard if he found the bird.  The bird is on PRIVATE
property, on which Morris has been given permission to conduct bird surveys.
He is going to contact the property owner and try to get "blanket" permission
for all birders.  I will contact him when I return from Knoxville tomorrow, and
see what he has been able to work out.  Until we know access rights, please
refrain from visiting the site.  We do not want to upset the owner!  If a
 ccess is granted, I will post detailed directions.  If all else fails, perhaps
Morris will be able to lead groups to see the bird.  I will let everyone know
as soon as possible.

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL