[TN-Bird] Re: BIRDING in the NEW YEAR

  • From: "Robert" <robt123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 22:43:46 -0600

Ol' Coot wrote :
> I usually start my year at Reelfoot trying for that magic 100 number on
> the
> first day of the year...

The very first bird I observed on New Year's Day 2006 was the endangered
Red-cockaded Woodpecker. Someone on TN-Birds had just mentioned a trip
to Noxubee WMA ( in Mississippi, near Starkville ). To celebrate the new
year, we drove down, poked around in the dark at 5:30am and watched the
woodpeckers wake up.  The place was soon buzzing with Red-cockaded
Woodpeckers... which ought to be named the White-cheeked Woodpeckers,
but who am I...  Very cool bird.

The complete list of the new year's birds we saw ( ...Golden-crowned
Kinglet,
White-breasted Nuthatch... ) would be out of scope for this Tennessee list.
But it was the mention of the TOS Noxubee trip on TN-Birds that gave us
the idea to go.

Robert Fowler
Memphi TN