[TN-Bird] BBS season 2009

  • From: Bill Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:00:05 -0500

I completed my fourth and final Breeding Bird Survey route for 2009
last weekend; it's quite nice to have them all done only a week in to
June.  I already posted about my most notable find (the Worm-eating
Warbler in Obion County); just a synopsis here of the season as a whole.

Opening day of BBS season in Tennessee is May 27th, and on that day I
ran the Campbellsville route in Giles County.  This is my most rural
route overall, with the least vehicle traffic, so it seemed like a
good choice for a mid-week date.  I just acquired this route last
year in a bit of a rush, when I discovered that it was still
unassigned and un-run with only a few days left in the season.  As it
is only about 40 miles from my front door I arranged to dash out and
cover it ASAP.  The way the BBS works, data is far more valuable when
the route is run by the same observer over multiple continuous
years.  So, when you volunteer to cover an orphan route one year,
you've adopted it for the duration (much like when you feed a stray
puppy!).    Last year I ran Campbellsville on July 1, by far the
latest I have ever run a BBS.  I was interested to see the comparison
between 2008 and 2009, when I ran it in late May.  Surprisingly,
there was not a dramatic difference.  Numbers of woodland singers
were slightly higher this year than last, but not markedly so and
probably not to a statistically significant degree.  The only major
change was the Orchard Orioles.  In July in 2008 I found none; in May
2009 I had 9 of them.   One thing I found curious about this route
last year was the relatively low numbers and diversity of wood
warblers compared to the other routes I run in the western Highland
Rim.  I had only 5 species as compared to the 12-16 I had come to
expect in this area.  The historical data from the previous observer
also showed this paucity of warblers; but there are often substantial
differences in the individual biases between two observers (hence the
need for data from the same observer year after year!\0 and I knew
from past experience that I tend to bias on the high side for
warblers.  This left me wondering if it was a function of the route
or the late run date; 2009 data would tell.  Well, this year I only
had 7 species of warblers, adding only a single Worm-eating and two
Prairie Warblers to the 2008 list.  Apparently the Western Highland
Rim "motherload" for Middle Tennessee warblers does not quite reach
as far as Giles County!

Next up on the list were Wrigley and Collinwood.  This was my third
year on both of these runs.  These routes are fairly similar, being
forest- and warbler-rich runs through hill-and-holler country of the
Highland Rim, with enough open farmland to add diversity and help
wrack up impressive species totals.  I scheduled Wrigley first, on
Saturday May 30, as it has more vehicle traffic issues and I was
going to be in Dickson close to its start point over the weekend
already.  The Wrigley route starts in Hickman County and travels east
across the northwest tip of Maury County before ending a few miles
over the line into Williamson County.  It has been run continuously
since the inception of the BBS in 1966, with not a single missed
year.  Ideally one is supposed to scout one's routes in advance to
avoid having road construction, etc. issues come up on the count day;
but in the case of these routes where the start points are less than
an hour from my front door I forgo the scouting trip.  I just figure
that if something arises on count day that I can't resolve on the
fly, it would be simple enough to rerun the route a day or two later
after checking with the Mothership in Pautuxent and working out a
solution.  The Wrigley route has had some pretty significant road
changes in its 43 years of existence, especially when the Natchez
Trace Parkway was constructed and bisected it, causing quite a few
stops to be relocated.  I narrowly dodged the bullet this year:  as I
approached stop 50 (out of 50), I was presented with orange "ROAD
CLOSED AHEAD" signs.  The barricades were sitting exactly at the
point where the BBS route ends!  It seems that 840 construction into
Williamson County has resumed and reached Leiper's Creek, after many
years of delay.  Fortunately this will make no changes to the route;
though who knows what it might do to the traffic issues?

The Wrigley route was its usual warbler-filled self, with a run total
of 15 warblers and a hefty 79 species.  Some year the planets and
birds will align just right and this route will break the 80 species
mark!  The only disappointment was the absence of any audible or
visible Cerulean Warblers at their usual haunts along Lick Creek or
anywhere else on the route; however these were balanced by singles of
Blue-winged Warbler and American Redstart, both of which are often
missed.  I would be tempted to blame the missing Ceruleans on the
fact that the February 2008 tornado cut across the route right at the
spot where they have been most reliable recently; however there was a
bird singing there last year still after the tornado so hopefully it
was just bad luck this year.

I chose to run Collinwood on Tuesday, June 2nd.  This route often
gets run on a weekday as the traffic is not too bad; though last year
I ran it on a weekend and I have to say by comparison the passing
cars were pretty annoying in parts this year.  I will probably try to
move it back to a weekend for the future.  For this one we start out
just east of the Natchez Trace Parkway in southern Wayne County, wind
through the hollers eastwards into southern Lawrence County through
"downtown" Westpoint and north of Loretto, and finish up in the high,
flat, open farmland and hayfields of the barrens near Center Point.
It has some memorable stops, such as the one in Westpoint that is
almost right on the front porch of a friendly old lady who you hope
has remembered to fill her hummingbird feeder; and the stop that is
right in the middle of the Shoal Creek bridge with the Cliff Swallows
swarming around you.  In the first stops it passes through large
regenerating clearcuts that have reached perfect Blue-winged Warbler
stage.  This year I tallied 7 of these beauties, along with 12
Prairie Warblers and 25 Yellow-bellied Chats.  The shifting numbers
of birds as the forests are cleared, regenerate, and close in again
are one of the things the BBS is intended to document.  Sometime in
the distant future these same stops will probably be recording
Ovenbirds, Acadian Flycatchers, and Hooded Warblers again; of course
by then I will have probably long since lost my hearing and passed
the route on to someone else!    The missing Ceruleans from Wrigley
were found at Collinwood, with singles at two stops.  One of these
was heard from the aforementioned Shoal Creek Bridge, where there was
also an American Redstart singing for the second time in three
years.  The Barrens added only a single Dickcissel this year;
sometimes they yield Loggerhead Shrikes or Grasshopper Sparrows but
it's always hit-or-miss for these species.  All told I had 77 species
including 14 warblers.

A curiousity -- after acquiring Campbellsville, I now run 3 of the 4
BBS routes in this southwestern highland rim area.  It reminds me of
the South Carolina Breeding Bird Atlas, where I wound up covering all
the Georgetown County and most of the Horry County blocks myself for
the same reason: paucity of local birders.  I'm not sure if this is a
good thing statistically, but it does get these remote rural areas
covered which is better than having missing data.  Of course the only
local route I do not run is the one that begins only 9 miles from my
front door: Lewis Forest.  I don't know who does cover this, but
looking at their data for past years it is clear that route is in
very good hands.

To finish out the season I made the long trek to the far northwest
corner of Tennessee for Tiptonville.  This is the first Tennessee BBS
route I acquired.  2009 marked my fourth year on it -- almost enough
for some meaningful statistics to start coming from my data!  Though
this route is cursed with heavy traffic on the early stops regardless
of the day of the week (commuters on the weekdays, fishermen on the
weekends), it is also probably the most exciting of my four routes.
It begins on the delta flatlands north of Tiptonville just south of
Black Bayou, then skirts right along the south shore of Reelfoot Lake
before climbing the bluff in to the Obion County uplands.  In the
Reelfoot portion you never know what might fly over, and up in the
hills and creeks on the second half you never know what you might
glimpse or hear.  Just in my four years I have come across unexpected-
in-summer woodland birds there such as Worm-eating Warbler, Scarlet
Tanager, and Broad-winged Hawk.  This is also the only BBS route I
have ever broken the 80-species mark on (81 on 2007).  Over the
decades the route has racked up a cumulative species list of 111;
individual year totals usually run in the 70s so you can see how much
year-to-year variation and luck-of-the-flyover-draw there is!

There was an additional factor this year that had me intrigued:  the
extensive forest damage from the intense ice storm last winter than
hit Lake and Obion Counties.  If you have not been to this area since
the storm, be advised that the impacts are massive.  It looks very
much like what I have seen near the coast in the aftermath of major
hurricanes, except that it lacks the "blown sideways" effect. The
branches and tops of all these trees were dropped straight down and
remain piled in great heaps throughout the woods.  The trees are
resprouting in that clumpy, stunty way that looks like the aftermath
of a bad pruning job, just as you would see following a tornado or
hurricane.  Overall I'd guess the tree canopy leaf area is reduced by
an average of 50% or more across the landscape.  It is hard to say
from just my one route what effect this tree damage had on the bird
totals.  Overall the numbers for woodland birds seem lower than
average; but there is always substantial year-to-year variation so it
is hard to say much for certain.  My species total was 73, which is a
bit low but not markedly so.  Tiptonville is the only Tennessee BBS
route within the ice storm footprint, but there are many others in
Kentucky that were also walloped by the storm.  I will be especially
interested to see what happens over the next couple of years as the
underbrush explodes in these opened up woods -- what might move in,
and what might move out?  Will we see huge increases in chats,
towhees, and catbirds?  Time will tell!

After a week and a half of getting up at 3:00 a.m., I finally have
time to weed the garden again...

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

                       MAP RESOURCES