[TN-Bird] BBC Lick Creek Bottoms field trip Sat.

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:31:13 EST

     The Bristol Bird Club will have a field trip Saturday, March 29 to
western Greene County, including the Walmart Distribution Center ponds, Lick
Creek Bottoms WMA's near McDonald school, and points in between (including
Green Rd., Sapp Rd., and Joachim Bible Refuge).  Anyone interested in birding
and good company is welcome to join us.
     The Bristol crowd will meet with me at the Bristol ETSU Campus, leaving
there at 8 AM.  Separately, the Kingsport crowd will meet with Mary Jane
Erwin in front of the Ingle's Market in Colonial Heights, in the small
parking lot between McDonalds and the bank, leaving around 8:15 AM.
Proceeding south on Interstate 81, we will take Exit 23 (Mosheim exit),
turning left onto 11E.  A short distance will bring us to a BP gasoline
station on our left at the intersection with North Mohawk Road.  For those
who come from Johnson City or Jonesborough by 11E and who may not know the
exact route to the Walmart Distribution Center, this will be a good
rendezvous point.  The groups from Bristol and Kingsport should be there
around 9 AM.  We will then go to the nearby Walmart ponds if anyone wants to
meet us there.
     I mentioned at the BBC meeting that you might want to bring your lunch,
but there is a Wendy's and a McDonalds near Exit 23 if the group wants to go
back there to eat, so bringing a lunch won't be necessary.  Estimated time of
the field trip's conclusion would be roughly mid-afternoon.
     There have been a lot of good birds in this area lately, as you may have
read on Bristolbirds and TNbirds.  Possibilities include shorebirds like
Lesser Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpiper, waterfowl such as Blue-winged Teal
and Northern Shoveler, returning swallows, uncommon residents like Loggerhead
Shrike and Red-headed Woodpecker, and hopefully east TN rarities like the
Cattle Egret recently found by Don Miller on Green Rd.  Also, recent
discoveries at Douglas Lake like the American White Pelicans might warrant
expanding the scope of the field trip to include a side trip there as well.
It would not be much farther down Interstate 81.  If the group is interested,
I will work it into the itinerary.  The conclusion of the field trip, in that
case would probably be late afternoon rather than mid-afternoon.
     If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to e-mail me at
dnldhlt@xxxxxxx, or call me at (423) 926-0865 (if I'm not there, leave your
name and number and I'll call you back).

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN