[TN-Bird] Avocet and Wilson's Phalarope/Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:28:28 EDT

Aug. 21, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Six birders enjoyed the bountiful birds at the pits with 14 species of Wind
Birds densely dotted across the flats. The birds were moving all day with
groups leaving and arriving, it was one of the heaviest day time movements I've
ever witnessed, probably due to the combination of inclement weather and steady
north wind. The birds were looking up all day at the passage out of our
binocular assisted sight and there was little to no raptor movement unlike last
weekend.

Wayne Patterson, from Mississippi, found an immature Wilson's Phalarope
before we got there this morning; it stayed feeding in one small pool all day.
kept saying the winds would blow something in the big shorebird variety in and
after an Interstate Bar-B-Que lunch we returned to find a molting adult, male
Avocet asleep, it later moved to TVA to sleep, as Avocets like to do, in among
the Mallard and Blue-winged Teal. Two Greater Yellowlegs later fell in for a
short rest as a group of Lesser Yellowlegs bailed out.

Least Sandpipers are present in huge numbers but very few of the fire brand
immatures are present but they are far ahead of the numerous Pectoral
Sandpipers, today not one immature was detected among the hundreds of worn
adults.
Bonus numbers of immature Semipalmated and Western Sandpipers are being seen
and
today I got my first immature Semipalmated Plover among the 13 present. I've
seen no immature Solitary Sandpipers but usually they are a little late and
slick immature Lesser Yellowlegs make up a good percentage of that species.
Good
looks at some great immature Stilt Sandpipers were had today. I looked for
Baird's and Buff-breasted but none had arrived, maybe tomorrow..........

Species present today: Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, Black-necked Stilts
galore, Avocet, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper,
Spotted Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper,
Pectoral Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper and Wilson's Phalarope.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN