[TN-Bird] Autumn Hawk Studies 1944-2014

  • From: TenacBirder@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 18:27:39 +0000 (UTC)

Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch
Hamilton co., TN

As will be later described, this year marks a very special time for
Soddy Mtn. Hawk Watch near Chattanooga, Tn.  We will try and
start the hawk watch around Sept. 10 or 11 and plan to be at the
lookout each day through the end of the month excepting Friday
Sept 19th.(when I have a doctors appointment.)  Hopefully another
season hawk counter can cover that day?  It could be an exceptionally
good for migrants.

Autumn hawk studies began in Tennessee around 1944 but the real
hawk counts didn't start until about 1949 when studies began in Tenn.,
VA, N C and parts of GA.  All the information was combined from the
various state locations and reported regularly in the MIGRANT.  If you
care to look up the data, the records are fascinating reading!  One
would be almost certain to recognize many names as the whole of TOS
was asked to be involved.  The knowledge they garnered are the basic
foundation principals we still benefit from in our present day studies.

Our own Soddy Mtn. records began by Bill Haley started in Fall 1993.
This upcoming season marks our 21st. year at this location.  Our current
count records for Broad-winged Hawks for the Fall migration only stand at
49,399 during September and the earliest days of October.  We also
have compiled records for other raptors as well and their numbers are
just as important!  However, I am currently making mention relating to
those concerning our Broad-winged totals which are only 601 birds away
from a record of 50,000 official sightings of Broad-winged Hawks at our
Soddy Mtn. location.  I don't know for sure but I feel this is a Tennessee
record for any one location.

Come and join us if you can.  Directions and other data are located at:
soddymountainhawkwatch.blogspot.com    Cynthia will most certainly
update the blog as the season nears.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Hamilton co., TN