[tn-bird] Re: Attention TOS members...

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:15:14 -0400

David Trently came on as treasurer of TOS shortly after I was elected
president and learned that our new treasurer would be forced to resign
due to a bout with cancer, and a need to totally focus on surviving
radiation, chemo and making up her mind to live.
I can't tell you how grateful I was to have David as treasurer. Even
though bookkeeping was not necessarily his strong point from experience,
he had the enthusiasm to do the job and to ensure that the
organization's finances were in good order. He intuitively sensed that
such self-knowledge was critical to being able to recommend expenditures
which could benefit birding and research in Tennessee.
Anyone with an interest in the position who might not have a degree in
accounting, could do well do use David as a model of keeping the big
picture in mind while wrestling with the details.
By staying on for five years, David has brought continuity to the job,
which is important since the president normally changes every two years.
I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks to David for a job well done,
and to assure anyone who might wish to take up the job that this is a
unique opportunity. The house will be found in order and there will be a
careful mentor there to assure an orderly transition.
Thanks again, David.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN