[TN-Bird] Asio reminiscence

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 06:45:44 -0800 (PST)

Reading Jeff Wilson's posting about a Long-eared Owl seen yesterday at LBL
reminded me of a sighting my wife and I had about 18 years ago.
We had just moved into our new house which is in a wooded subdivision on the
north side of Murfreesboro.  One afternoon, about this time of year, we walked
over to visit a neighbor, and on the way, I saw a good sized raptor perched
beside the road in a large White Oak tree.  I passed it off as a Red-tailed
Hawk, and did not have binox with me to confirm this impression.  About an hour
later as we were walking back home, we again saw the bird sitting on the same
limb.  I walked over to get a closer look and managed to flush it.  When it
flew, the dark wrist patches and moth-like flight were obvious.  At first I
thought it was a Short-eared Owl, but after further consideration, it had a
rather upright posture, and occuring in a wooded area even during migration, I
think Long-eared would be much more likely.  I will never know for sure, and
the
chances of another Asio in the neighborhood are rather low at best.
Interestingly enough, about 5 years ago, a Long-eared Owl showed up one
afternoon right in the middle of downtown Nashville!  It was seen by several
observers, capture attempts were unsuccessful (it was thought to possibly be
injured), and it had moved on by the next day.
Cheers

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan