[TN-Bird] Ash-throated Flycatcher at Woods Reservoir on Saturday

  • From: "LeGrand Family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:50:39 -0600

Thanks go to Tommy Curtis for putting out the word on the Ash-throated
Flycatcher at Woods Reservoir yesterday.

The bird was at the parking lot at the south end of the dam and stayed in
the area even as our group of 8 people left at about 1 PM, so there's a
reasonable chance that it might still be there. It spent most of its time
among the samplings in the logged field adjacent to the parking lot, but it
also went to the deciduous trees at the lakeshore, and it even landed on the
metal rail on the dam. In the hour or so that we were there, we got numerous
photos (4-5 people had cameras) and scope views from well within 50 feet,
paying particular attention to the amount of rufous on the underside of the
tail and relative bill size (to rule out Brown-crested Flycatcher). The bird
never called.

Doug Downs called the bird to our attention. Also in the group were Stephen
Stedman, Carol Williams, Judy Fuson, Winston Walden, Sue Pirolo, Peter Li,
and myself. This will be written up for the Records Committee.

Ed LeGrand
Cumberland Co.