[TN-Bird] Re: Ash-throated Flycatcher/ Ensley Bottoms/Memphis TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: kde@xxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:55:39 EST

Dean and TN-Birders,

I'm in the slow process of putting together a web site where I'll be posting
seasonal records and photos along with rarities and ID information for my
Tennessee records. If anyone is interested in viewing the Ash-throated shot I
can send the original or an enlarged and cropped shot showing the diagnostic
tail pattern with the dark brown extending around the tip of the tail
feathers. I could not break away today but I'll check again for the bird
tomorrow before I head north for the Reelfoot CBC.

After 4 weeks of looking in every nook and corner, turning over the 300,000
mile mark on my truck and still coming up with no new, year birds, this
flycatcher may have been my seasons gift to off set the tail kicking I've
been giving myself for the gull fiasco last weekend. This Ash-throated raises
my TN Year Total to 305. The Eurasian Teal is on hold until AOU catches up
with the split from Green-winged teal that is already accepted by Europe and
Clements.

I still could use; Tundra Swan, both Crossbills, Evening Grosbeak, Red-necked
Grebe, another hummer or two, Greater Black-backed Gull, and any number of
other rare gulls or other goodies. It has been a fine birdy year but I should
have decided to go after a Big Year before August as I missed a few birds
that hung around before that time. Mike Todd is near 290 for the year and I
believe he is only the second person to get to that threshold in one year in
TN. With his youth and work schedule any record I set is sure to tumble when
another exceptional year such as this comes to pass.

Thanks and share a great CBC somewhere with good friends.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.