[TN-Bird] Re: Are west Tennessee Yellow-crowned Night-herons disappearing?

  • From: "Mcdonald, Kenneth" <kenneth_mcdonald@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <editorthemigrant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 12:14:21 -0500

Mark Greene reported something similar this morning on the list with
herons, egrets, and anhingas. He was speculating fish crows preying on
nests could be a candidate explanation, but if a wide range of wading birds
are suffering similar declines in these counties it's something worth
knowing more about, for sure!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Bob Ford <editorthemigrant@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hello all - starting last summer (2014), I realized it has been a few
years since I've seen Yellow-crowned Night-herons in west Tennessee.
Several years ago I would see them fairly often each summer, always early
in the morning while driving near roadside ditches or walking through
wooded bottomland creeks. A quick check on eBird and there are a few
records in 2014 and 2015 but most are from several years ago. They have
never been "common" by my estimation, but I'd expect to see at least a few
each summer, even with random birding.

Anybody else noticed this, or am I just in the wrong place at the wrong
time the last few years?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Bob Ford
Haywood County TN

--

*Kenneth W. McDonaldEnergy BiologistU.S. Fish and Wildlife Service446 Neal
StreetCookeville, TN 38501Office: 931.525.4990Fax:

Energy and persistence will conquer all things

- Benjamin Franklin