[TN-Bird] Another immature Cooper's hawk

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:44:03 EDT

Hello Birders,

About 1 PM today, another immature Cooper's hawk lit on my deck only a foot
from the French doors at my home the Charlotte Park, West Nashville, Davidson
County, a few blocks east of the Cumberland River's Cleece's boat landing.  I
call it another immature because it seems browner that the one I photographed.
This one also has a marble-sized white spot on its left shoulder.  The other
bird is showing more gray/blue on its back in real bright light although its
front is still very streaked, and it still has some white spots in its back.
It may be a little more mature than the one that was here today.    I'm not
really sure when they become totally mature in plumage.  Maybe someone out
there
can tell me.  Today's bird just stood on the deck looking inside at me and
initiating a "stare down" before it flew away a couple of minutes later.  This
one had much deeper streaks on its front that the one before.

If anyone else would like to see the photo of the Cooper's as it was flying
to the grape vine, just let me know, and I will forward one to you.  It's a
pretty good shot, and I've had a few requests to see it.  You can see what I
mean
by it  looking almost bluish/gray on the back, but the head is still very
brown.  When it was in the shade up beside the door, it was very brown, but I
guess the sunlight brought out the emerging blue color of what may be a new set
of feathers coming in.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN