[TN-Bird] American Woodcocks

  • From: Stczipperer@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:37:08 -0500 (EST)

2/19/2013
Rutherford County, TN
5:45 PM to 6:10 PM

Last year I spent the year learning Rutherford Co., TN.  Daniel  Estabrooks
and I had a friendly little competition going on  to see who  could see the
most bird species.  Well he beat me by one.  One bird  neither of us got
was American Woodcock.

I have been eyeing this TWRA field down the road from my house that is next
 to the East Fork of the Stones River. When I was birding in the 80's and
early  90's it was the kind of field around Percy Priest Lake that always
seemed to  have Woodcocks.

After looking at the weather forecast for the rest of the week I decided to
 go this evening.

I had at least four birds doing peent calls.  Heard at least 4-5  flights
and saw one bird drifting back down like a leaf from one flight.

Saturday and Sunday would be better days for going to this field.   Lots of
traffic and traffic noise during the week. W. Jefferson Pike is a  heavily
used two lane road in Rutherford Co.

That makes 186 species seen in Rutherford Co.

Good Birding

Stephen Zipperer
Rutherford Co. TN