[TN-Bird] American Woodcock, Hampton, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:05:38 EDT

I had an American Woodcock in a corner of the yard tonight (Monday, Oct. 15)
with soft soil near a mulch pile. It's the first time I have ever had the
species on my property.
My mother had seen it earlier, but didn't know what it was. I didn't get a
great look at it, so I am hopeful it will stay around. Moles are constantly
turning the soil in this corner of the yard, which is shaded and rather damp,
considering the drought.

Also, first of the season sightings for both White-throated Sparrow and
Dark-eyed Junco. It's the first time these two species have ever arrived at the
same time. The White-throated Sparrows usually arrive a week or so ahead of the
Dark-eyed Juncos.

Other sightings:
Gray Catbird (1)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (2)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1)

I didn't see any Pine Siskins at the feeders today. I did see American
Goldfinches and House Finches.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN