[TN-Bird] American Tree Sparrow - Sumner County

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:42:10 -0500

TN-birders,

Dollyann and I were doing some county birding in Sumner County yesterday
morning when we stopped at a smallish wet area on Meadowbrook Drive (36.60844,
–86.36658). It looked like it might be good for some sparrows we needed for the
county. When I spished a bit a bird hopped up in a small sapling near our car,
and it turned out to be an American Tree Sparrow. Bright red on the cap and
wing coverts, a dusky spot in the middle of the breast, and a nicely marked,
bicolored beak. It flew off across the area and try as we might, we could not
relocate it.

Great birding and happy new year to all!

Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN