[TN-Bird] American Tree Sparrow (Robertson County)

  • From: Tony Lance <tonylance@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 13:05:17 -0600

It seems to be the day for American Tree Sparrows at feeders here in Tennessee.
Shortly after Tarcila Fox and Ruben Stoll posted on the Tennessee Birding
Facebook page that they each had one, I was watching my feeder and one showed
up at mine! This is my first in Tennessee (though I've seen lots in New York).
The funny thing is that I've been looking for this species for a few years up
here in Robertson County with no success, and today one just shows up in my
yard. I almost overlooked it because I'd had both Field and Chipping already
this morning, and I wasn't looking for or expecting an American Tree Sparrow.
Had it not jumped up on the porch and faced me I wouldn't have seen it because
I wasn't looking through binoculars and the window was a bit foggy. Total luck
out on my part.

Tony Lance
Springfield, TN

image/jpg