[TN-Bird] American Golden-Plover - Eagle Bend hatchery

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 21:16:37 -0400

TN-birders,

Dollyann and I went out to the Eagle Bend fish hatchery (on the east side of
Clinton, Anderson Co.) this morning to see if any shorebirds were around. As
you are driving into the hatchery there is a large grassy area on your left,
where they recently cut the long grass and rolled it into hay bales. Three
American Golden-Plovers were in the grass, along with some Killdeer and Rock
Pigeons, feeding on something in the grass. While we were watching, all the
birds got up and left. The reason was a juvenile Cooper’s Hawk that came in and
landed on one of the bales. We re-found the plovers a bit later in one of the
grassy strips between some of the ponds on the left side of the main road.

We also saw 1 Least Sandpiper, a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk, an Osprey, and a
couple of Belted Kingfishers.

Great birding,

Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN