[TN-Bird] Re: Am. Tree Sparrow still here - Lewis County

  • From: Jud Johnston <rivendell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 16:35:48 -0600

Wife Sylvia and I found the American tree sparrow reported by Bill Pulliam near his residence just west of Hohenwald. I think we flushed it off the road when we drove up; a few minutes later, it and a chipping sparrow flew out of the brush to the opposite shoulder. This pattern continued for 30-40 minutes; flushing into the brush at the approach of the occasional vehicle, then back to the shoulder a few minutes later. Finally it perched up in a small tree across the road from us, offering an excellent look at the breast spot. Alas, it left again before my camera could focus on it. A state bird for me, and a life bird for Sylvia.

Jud Johnston
Waynesboro