[TN-Bird] Almost 9,000 Shorebirds - 20 species in W. TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:14:48 EDT

August 7-8, 2004
Ensley Bottoms, Shelby Co.
Chickasaw NWR, Lauderdale Co.
Various wet places, Dyer-Lake Co.TN

Starting with a 6 hour study at Ensley on Saturday and ending late Sunday on
the Great River Road in Dyer Co, photographing two Willet made for a full
weekend of Wind Birds.

Ensley numbers are growing and at the rate the birds are gathering a 10,000
one day count is going to happen one day. I had over 7,000 there and a couple
of hundred birds left around 10:30 after a bunch of hawks came through. An
immature Cooper's always shows up and gives the birds a lot of grief and this
year
is no different as one made to low passes. These young Cooper's normally just
feed on the numerous Mourning Doves that present easy pickings as they feed
in the surrounding fields. Osprey, Red-shouldered, Broad-wing, Red-tailed Hawks
plus Kestrel and Mississippi Kites all made appearances in a short span of 30
minutes, so a lot of Wind Birds bailed.

Only thirteen species were present at Ensley with 3 Upland Sandpipers that I
flushed from the Pigweed and 3 immature Wilson's Phalarope, the best of the
bunch. Last week I had my first single immature Least Sandpiper for the season
and this week a few immature Western and Pectoral Sandpipers were in the bunch
and my favorite, Semipalmated Sandpiper were treats as usual. These fresh
plumaged youngsters were few and far between but worth sorting through the
horde.
On the Mississippi River at Mud Island there were 4 Caspian Terns and 11 Least.

The afternoon was spent walking the last wet pools at Chickasaw NWR in
Lauderdale Co. Here, I also had 13 species but added Greater Yellowlegs,
Short-billed and Long-billed Dowitchers; the Short-billed just dropped in at
dusk and the
Long-billed pair went "keeking" off to the south. Least Terns were feeding
young and making a lot of noise when they brought back a fish; just making sure
everyone knew what a good provider they were.

Sunday, on the Mississippi River in Lake Co, I added two more species as 2
Piping Plovers strode up and down one sand-spit while 3 pale Sanderling ran up
and down another. At Tiptonville there were 200+ American White Pelicans, 2
adult and an immature (this years young) Bald Eagle feeding on a huge fish.

Nothing to speak of at White Lake Refuge but the Grasshopper Sparrows again
put on a show right by my truck. In a graded out site at the Handicap Area of
Black Bayou, I had another early Wilson's Snipe for species number 19 for the
weekend with a total of 169 birds of 9 species but a wet area in the middle of
a field near Chic in Dyer Co, held 383 birds of 7 species and later another
wet area off the Great River Road provided me with Wind Bird species number 20,
as the 2 Willet and a Stilt Sandpiper closed out the day.

A total shorebird weekend count of 8909. Next weekend will top 10,000 and
maybe Ensley will fill to the brim for sorting out a Real Good Species.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN