[TN-Bird] Allen's Hummingbird / TN-KY Winter Hummer Update

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <humnet-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:29:47 -0600

I've updated my web page to reflect the latest banding efforts, plus a
whopping number of new reports:

http://home.comcast.net/~chris.sloan/WinterHummers2004.html

Most notably, this afternoon I banded an adult female Allen's
Hummingbird in Williamson County, TN.  If memory serves, this is the 5th
state record, and only my second.  It was noticeably tiny in the hand;
so much so that I did a double take to make sure I wasn't crazy and
wasn't holding a Calliope!  Contact me if you wish to look for this
bird; however, I will warn you that this individual is indistinguishable
from a Rufous in the field.

Also, if anyone didn't catch it on another listserv, one of the Rufous
Hummingbirds (an immature female at the time) that I banded in Knoxville
during my record 6 bird day last Dec. 13 was recaptured last week by
Susan Campbell in North Carolina about 100 miles east of its original
banding site.

Next weekend, I'm going to try to tackle the 5 Kentucky birds; in the
meantime, Portia and I may try to pick off a couple of the
Nashville-area birds during the week, before work.

So many birds, so little time!

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN=20