[TN-Bird] Re: Allan Trently's Political Statement

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:28:51 -0400

Open Message To A Subscriber of TN-Birds:

You have a very mistaken idea about how Allan Trently was permitted to post
to TN-Birds and how the list operates.

(1)  Allan Trently was not "allowed to add a political statement" to his
post.  He simply did it.  No one gave consent or permission for what he did.

You have no right to be offended at the way TN-Birds is operated.  TN-Birds
is a valuable, free, birding service provided for you and other TN-Birders.
There
are many personal rewards for moderating the list but subscribers claiming
to be offended at what I do, when they do not understand this list, is not
one of the them.  It is a disappointment.

(2)  I did not approve Allan Trently's post.  This list is not fully
moderated.  Everyone, including you, posts to this list without moderation
in the sense that I do not read and pass their messages on to the list.  I
get messages at the same time as you and all other subscribers and I read
the same content you do.

I do not belive that TN-Birds is a proper forum for the comments which Allan
Trently included in his message.

Other more understanding and patient subscribers have inquired and stated
both their concern and displeasure.  I have taken their comments by e-mail,
home telephone and long distance to my cellphone.

I am, with this response, appealing to you and all TN-Birders to help us
keep this excellent list organized with dignity and respect for everyone and
their political and social beliefs.

You are the first to threaten what you would do if Allan Trently did
anything similar again.

I am taking measurers to discourage political and social commentary on
TN-Birds which is not in keeping with the intent, purpose and spirt of this
state birding list.

TN-Birds will not become a political battleground !

Anyone who attempts to make or makes further POLITICAL comments on this
subject after this message is posted to TN-Birds will be suspended from
posting until the next president is sworn into office in January.

The ban on political discussion on TN-Birds does not extend to subscribers
making a public post to the list or to me personally regarding the pro
and/or con opinions about the policies of TN-Birds.

Your mature, patient, understanding of how this list is managed would be
appreciated.

Respectfully,

Wallace Coffey
Moderator TN-Birds