[tn-bird] Alder Flycatcher

  • From: "Glen Eller" <geller@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:41:29 -0400

While birding at Whitetop Station (elevation 3713 ft.) on the Virginia
Creeper Trail off highway 58, east of Grayson Highlands State Park this
morning (June 14), I found 3 different locations of Alder (fee-bee-o)
Flycatchers.  At the Whitetop Station lower, paved parking lot, walking down
the Creeper Trail around the pond, I saw and heard at least 3 seperate
birds.  Leaving Whitetop Station going NE on county road 755, 1/2 mile
beyond the Whitetop Station intersection, I had at least 2 singing birds at
a beaver pond & lodge on the left.  Continuing on 755 another 1/2 mile I had
another singing bird.  How many more birds are there in the 1 mile radius of
Whitetop Station?  Other birds in the area included: Cedar Waxwing, Common
Yellowthroat, Chestunut-sided & Yellow Warblers, Scarlet Tanager, Least
(che-bek) Flycatcher and Veery.  On my drive back to Galax, I picked up the
Acadian & Willow Flycatcher, 4 of the 5 Eastern Empidonax Flycatchers in one
morning is not all that bad.

Glen Eller
Galax, VA